Total Pageviews

Monday, October 2, 2017

Last movement gained


I don't remember much about my time in rehab after my accident while I was still in the hospital. There just seems to be some flashes of things that happened. Most of the memories are not a good thing. But there are some good memories. I was in rehab for about 2 1/2 months, from the end of December through the beginning of March.

The good memories mostly have to deal with family and friends that were visiting. Nurse Nancy is another good memory. She was pretty much my personal nurse. When she was working she was with me. She was great. My physical therapist is also another great memory. She would lighten the mood every day. But for the life of me I cannot remember her name. But I do remember her smile and laugh. I was her first full-time patient after being hired at MeritCare. She was fresh out of UND.

I won't get into most of the bad memories. But the one that I will tell you about is about my last movement. While in rehab I went to PT and OT just about every day. The occupational therapist mostly worked with my hands. Sidebar, OT was on the same floor as my room. PT was in the basement. When going to PT, some of the transport people would let me run amok afterwards. Good times.

Back to the bad stuff, I remember this day like it was yesterday. I wasn't really fond of the OT lady. She was one of those fake type people. She was annoying. I am glad I don't remember her name. Anyway, one day while I was at therapy with her, she was working on my hands as usual. All of a sudden she said, "Did you feel that? You have some new movement. It looks like your radial deviation in your left hand is trying to fire." I remember her being so excited and that got me excited. She said, "This is just the beginning of your road to recovery." This happened sometime in February 1995. That was the last movement I regained after my accident. I know she was just being positive. I cannot blame her for that. But that defines false hope.

The radial deviation I regained isn't much. It's not even that noticeable but for some reason I find myself staring at my left wrist a lot. I don't know why I do. It doesn't necessarily bring up bad memories. It just is a reminder of what could've been. It is a reminder of possibilities lost.

So if you see me staring at my left wrist, watching my last movement I regained, that's what it is all about. 

Thanks for reading, Clint

No comments:

Post a Comment