Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Do a walkabout North Dakota style.


I always hear people talking about all these faraway places where they are planning to go. All those places are great I am sure but there are hundreds of places to go in our great state of North Dakota. I know some of you who read that last line will scoff at the idea of interesting sights to see in our great state, but there are. You just need to go out and look.

I am always surprised at people who have never been to places that are close to them. I too am at fault for this. I have been to a lot of places in southeastern North Dakota but there are a ton of places I want to get to.

For example, everyone goes to the South unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. But have you ever been to the North unit? Not many have. I haven't. It is on my list.

Below are just some suggestions on some stuff and things that are nearby and worth the trip.

Sheyenne National Scenic Byway is a beautiful drive no matter what time of year.

Maah Daah Hey Trail is almost 200 miles of winding trails through the beautiful badlands for your horse, your mountain bike or your hiking boots.

Military camps and Indian wars:
Sibley & Sully Expeditions of 1863 & 1864.

Medora

International Peace Gardens

Clauson Springs

Little Yellowstone

There are awesome restaurants and local watering holes throughout the state.
  

The Sheyenne National Grasslands

Tewaukon National Wildlife Refuge

Turtle River State Park

Pembina Gorge State Recreation and Walhalla

Fairview Lift Bridge and Cartwright Tunnel

Sheyenne State Forest which includes North Dakota's only natural waterfall.

As you can see, most of the above suggestions are on the eastern part of the state. There are hundreds of destinations West River that I have not mentioned. I need to do a walkabout, just get in the pickup and go where the road takes me. One of these days…

The best part about it is that you can get a lot of these great destinations on a weekend trip. You just have to do it. Hitting the two-lane highway or gravel road opens your eyes to even more hidden gems that you would never see on the interstate.

Thanks for reading, Clint.

No comments:

Post a Comment