Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Awesome leather arrow quiver and stuff.


I believe it was last summer when a friend of mine asked if I could do him a favor. I gladly said yes. I didn't think it was anything at all doing this favor. Well I will tell you what happened. My friend wanted me to help his daughter get used to shooting her rifle as she was going to be deer hunting that fall. I believe he said, "She will listen to you a lot more than she will listen to her old man." Ha. Good stuff. So we set up a day, went out to the range and did some shooting.

I could tell she was nervous right away so we decided to shoot a smaller caliber rifle to start the day. We used my Ruger 10-22. She really enjoyed it and she really shot well. Very well indeed. She burned through quite a few bullets. Good stuff.


She was shooting right-handed. But as she was shooting we noticed her left eye was always open. Some people can shoot with both eyes open but not all can master that. I learned a trick while helping coach the high school trap team when one student athlete couldn't close one of his eyes. So we put tape over one lens on his safety glasses. It worked like a charm for him. I will always remember the joy on his face when he started consistently breaking clays after being discouraged with not being able to hit them.

It also worked like a charm on this day. The only problem was we did not have any tape. So we had to channel our inner MacGyver. Good thing we had plastic spoons in the cabinet at the range. We put the spoon behind the left lens of her glasses. All I can say is, it worked.

It didn't take long for her to get comfortable and to get real consistent. It was impressive. It was fun to see her get better and better with each pull of the trigger.


She got her deer last fall and a turkey this spring. That doesn't suck.

I love trigger time. Even if I am not the one doing the pulling of the trigger. Trigger time is what it takes. Meaning the more time around your weapon of choice, the more better you will be. More importantly, the more comfortable you will be around that weapon.


For doing this favor which I really enjoyed, my friend wanted to do something for me. I wasn't expecting anything. I told him he didn't need to do anything. I love getting kids involved in the shooting sports. But he was determined to make something for me and he decided on an arrow quiver.


In his spare time he has a leathercraft business, "Storhoff Saddlery and Leathercraft." He does not suck at this. The leather quiver that he made is a piece of art. It is awesome. I don't even want to know how many hours he spent on it. It fits the back of my wheelchair perfectly. It not only looks great but it also is very functional. It will come in very handy when practicing flinging arrows this summer and many summers to come.

Thank you Brett. You can sit at my campfire anytime… That's a quote from, "The Man from Snowy River."

Thanks for reading, Clint.

No comments:

Post a Comment